Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My 25 all-time favorite science fiction movies (at the moment)

I was listening to an episode of "On Point" yesterday, and the topic was "greatest science fiction movies of all time." After listening to the podcast, which was a lot of fun, I said - "I accept your challenge!" I thought the world would benefit from knowing my all-time favorite science fiction movies.

I am very deliberately not calling this list "greatest movies" because these lists are inherently subjective and I'm just listing my own personal favorites. A few notes:
  • I am keeping out movies based on comic books. While most of these would qualify as science fiction, I see them as their own category (and a list for me to work on for another day).
  • I am singling out individual movies, not just series (which makes it more challenging in a good way) - so I will not just say "The Star Wars movies"
  • These are my own personal favorites. There are many movies out there that are regarded as "great" that I haven't seen, or was not so impressed by; this list is only meant to cover my personal preferences.
  • I can't just do top 10 because it ignores too many movies.
  • If a movie falls into another genre but is also clearly science fiction, I am including it.
  • It has been so long since I last saw Blade Runner, I suspect that once I re-watch it, my list will change
  • If given another day, or two days or a week, I could probably monkey around with the order of the movies on the list (other than the top 5), so other than those, the order only reflects what I felt at the moment I hit "Publish Post".
  • I have not included animated films. If I did, Wall-E would probably make the list somewhere.
  • I have a suspicion I'm really going to enjoy District 9, but haven't seen it yet
  • About Star Wars Episodes I and II, each of those movies has a lot that I enjoy, (for example, the light saber duel at the end of Episode I is my favorite in the entire series of movies) and it is hard to separate out all of the affection I have for them as Star Wars movies, but I felt that overall, they were not good enough to make the list.
  • Avatar - one of the most visually stunning things I ever seen. Doesn't make the list. At least not today. I'm not sure how much I actually liked the movie, apart from the 3-D visual spectacle of it.

With that in mind, my list is as follows:

  1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Star Wars
  3. The Matrix
  4. Back to the Future
  5. Terminator 2
  6. Return of the Jedi
  7. Dune
  8. Star Trek: First Contact
  9. Minority Report
  10. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  11. Children of Men
  12. Star Trek (2009)
  13. Galaxy Quest
  14. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
  15. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
  16. Twelve Monkeys
  17. Gattaca
  18. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
  19. E.T.
  20. Donnie Darko
  21. Starship Troopers
  22. THX 1138
  23. Inception
  24. Brazil
  25. Robocop

No comments: