Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Two political thoughts

1. Recently Karl Rove publicly said he thought McCain had gone too far in some of his ads. Yikes! Having Karl Rove tell you you're gone too far is kind of like having Stalin tell you you're "not being nice."

2. Why do people want to vote for candidates that are "just like them?" People seem to want "relatability", which I think is really dumb and incredibly narcissistic. Only in politics do people ask for this. I mean, if you needed brain surgery, would you want the brain surgeon to be "like you", or would you want him to be highly competent and good at what he did? I don't want to "have a beer" with my doctor, I just want him to do the job correctly. Why do we ask less of our politicians than we do of our doctors? I don't want a politician who is just like me. I'm not qualified to be president! I want a politician who is much much smarter than me, since being president involves dealing with really big issues that I am in no way qualified to deal with.

Ultimately, this means that I wish someone more qualified than Obama was the Democratic nominee, but he does have time in both state (as a state legislator) and federal government, and he was a constitutional law professor, so I'm hoping some of that will come in handy. Still, I wish he had 4 or 8 more years in the Senate under his belt before he ran.

No comments: