Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Complaints about technology

For a change of pace, I'm going to go ahead and vent about technology issues for a little while.

So back in December our old VCR broke. We thought, "no problem, we can just buy a new one". Turns out (not so surprisingly) that no one makes VCR's anymore. So, we decided to buy a combo VCR/DVD player (even though we had an existing, perfectly good Toshiba DVD player) since that was the only way we could get a VCR. Why buy a VCR, you might ask? We have a bunch of videos for our kids to watch, and it didn't seem like it would be a problem. So, we bought a very nice LG DVR/VCR with a built-in digital tuner and 1080i upconverting. This worked for a while until it started having an incredibly annoying problem of refusing to recognize the existence of the discs you had to put inside it. Problematic, no?

So, I went about figuring out how I was supposed to get it back to LG to fix. They explained to me that all I need to do was send them the original receipt (ha!) and put the DVD player in the original box (ha ha!) and send it back to them along with $69 for labor. So, I spent a ton of time searching all over the place for the receipt (basically ransacked our house) and couldn't find it, but then I got in touch with Best Buy and they explained that they can just send me a duplicate receipt. So that was great, and then I sent it to the UPS store to have it wrapped up, and sent it off to LG.

In the interim I decided to hook up the old DVD player to the TV. Unfortunately I just couldn't get it to work. The configuration was different. Back when we used this old DVD player we had it connected through the VCR. Now it was different and for some reason I couldn't get it to work.

No matter - just a few weeks later I got back a box with what appeared to be a brand new DVD player. I realized that it actually was a brand new one. In fact, it was an upgrade over my previous one. Whereas my old one only had 1080i upconverting, this one had full 1080p upconverting. So, very exciting, everyone loves a free upgrade. Unfortunately, not so great. I hooked up the DVD player as I normally would (I have done this sort of thing several times before, and am reasonably good at figuring this stuff out), but it just wouldn't work. So, I called a friend of mine who is more tech-savvy than I am and asked for his help. He was stumped, until we eventually discovered that this new DVD player is not designed to work with our old TV (perfectly good CRT television, 9 years old). So, now we have 2 perfectly good DVD players, neither of which can work with our television set.

My friend suggested a number of possible options: (i) buy an A/B switcher box to go back and forth; (ii) buy a receiver and run everything through the receiver; or (iii) buy a new TV.

Now, I like options (ii) and (iii) because our current stereo is a boombox-style Aiwa stereo that I bought in 1994 when was in college and it has been a complete POS ever since I bought it (the tape deck hasn't worked in years, and the CD player doesn't work either, at this point it's just a large radio). I have been holding out on replacing it because I didn't want to replace it with another POS, I wanted to actually get a good stereo system. I also like the idea of getting an LCD flat-panel TV.

Mostly, I am annoyed and a little bitter. We actually have 3 DVD players in the house, if you count the one that is a part of our computer but that has weird problems whenever you try to watch a DVD. So, 3 DVD players in the house, and none of them work. No pithy conclusion, I'm just sort of frustrated.

No comments: