Monday, November 12, 2012

Yes, artist guy, Comic Books are Actually Art

I was at the library a few weeks ago looking at the stacks of graphic novels hoping to find some new stuff (I'm an avid library user when it comes to comics), and this middle-aged guy comes over and starts talking to me. He's an artist, and he asks me if I am a comic book writer as he'd be interested in working with a writer.

First off I'm not a comic writer, though I've tried it a little bit. At this point I'm just an avid reader (maybe he just assumed that a grown man wouldn't read comics unless he was also a writer? I don't know - odd set of assumptions).

Anyway, I start talking to him and he explains that he's an artist and can do all sorts of kinds of art, and would be interested in working with a writer.  So, I decide to engage with him. I ask him if he's worked on any graphic novels or comics before and who are his favorite artists.  His response is something along the lines of (I can't remember it verbatim) "Well, I prefer Matisse and Picasso".

Ugh.

I talk with him a little bit more, I point him so some interesting stuff I've read recently (like Asterios Polyp) and I go on my way.  But the more I think about that conversation, the more it annoys me and I wished I had said something different.  Here's why:


  • First, the assumption that as an "artist" he can just pick up drawing comic book as if it was easy. I've read some books that were beautifully drawn, and some that were more workmanlike in their art.  But all the artists featured in books I've read have an understanding of certain fundamentals. Among many other characteristics, you need to be able to convincingly portray action and motion, and you need to be able to portray the same characters, rooms, landscapes, etc., the exact same way, in scene after scene.  Otherwise your audience will lose track of the action. You also need to be able to draw and illustrate based on someone else's script (unless you're the writer/artist). That kind of collaboration takes substantial skill. So, chief, just because you may be good at drawing landscapes or abstract works, does not mean you can somehow automatically become a comic book artist.
  • Secondly, if you're trying to get work as a comic artist, and someone asks you "well, who are your favorite artists/what artists inspire you, etc", don't say "I prefer Matisse and Picasso". It's incredibly insulting to what comic book artists do, and makes you look like a pretentious twit.  If you're actually serious about working in this field, you had better have a legitimate understanding of what's out there, and get to know some names like Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Neal Adams, John Romita, or more recent artists like Dave Mazzuchelli, Steve Dillon, Dave Gibbons, Alex Ross, Frank Quitely, Tim Sale, Gary Frank, Bryan Hitch (and of course there are so many others, but these are some of the ones that quickly come to mind).  
Read comics (superhero or not), look at what's out there, and try to develop a style that works for you (or multiple styles, depending on the project).  But when you tell someone you're interested in illustrating comic books and a person asks you what artists you like, don't tell them Matisse.  It shows that you have no respect or appreciation for the value of comic books as art, which they are.



2 comments:

Josette said...

Your experience reminds me of people who say their favorite poet is Shakespeare. I want to ask them, in all seriousness, have you read anything since you left high school?

James Kaplan said...

Totally agree. This sort of thing also happens often in genre fiction (like science fiction), where so-called "real" writers will show up and assume that they are capable of writing a compelling science fiction story. While every genre of prose (and poetry, I'm guessing) may have its tropes and cliches, you can't just wander in and act like you can slum it and know what you're doing.