Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Babies of the species Dada-LW

LW and I were talking about Baby and how cute she is. I just had a "vacation" for a week and a half, and at the end of it I am much more bonded to the Baby than I was before. I'm not any more or less bonded to the Banana, but my hair is a little grayer as a result of her inscrutable toddler-ness. She really is 8 different kinds of wonderful, but she also makes me want to bang my head against the wall some times, or consider selling her on eBay. She's very cute, so I'd do well.

Anyway, LW took Baby to a luncheon at her work and everyone was oohing and aahing over her. Rightfully so, she's very cute. We were talking afterwards about how much we love her personality, and comparing the children (which of course good parenting probably says you're never supposed to do, but all parents do it). Anyway, the conclusion we've come to is that our kids personalities at this age are pretty much the same. They are super-similar physically. Baby's head is a little wider and more square-shaped than Banana's was at this age, but both at this age (almost 5 months) are highly alert, don't cry for no reason (only when there is a specific issue), very smiley and good with people, not super-heavy, have high muscle tone (i.e., if you hold them up they will essentially use their legs to stand up themselves) completely bald, and physically seem almost exactly the same.

So, they're both lovely babies, but both are (or were) lovely in a very specific way. I joked with LW that it's almost as if there was a particular breed of child (let's call her the Dada-LW breed), since both kids have these pretty specific personality traits. If we had a third child (really, no plans to do that), I suspect we would make another baby that fit the Dada-LW mold. I mean, if we had a really fat baby with a lot of hair that was fussy all the time and didn't hold themselves up on their feet, I'd have to ask the LW some hard questions!

No comments: