Thursday, August 21, 2008

My brief, informative, insightful book reviews - Review of Godland Vol. 1

I'm going to start posting reviews of books I read here, particularly comics that I read (since that seems to be most of what I'm reading these days). I may not catch everything I read here, but will try to get pretty much all of the comics have read recently and stuff going forward. Enjoy, true believers!

First up is Godland Volume 1 which I just read yesterday. Fantastic!! Ka-blow!! Cosmic and Celestial!! Yes, this is highly derivative of things like early Fantastic Four, Kirby's Fourth World series and the Celestials, but that is a GOOD thing. This book was a super quick read, and had that totally fun "cosmic" feel that you really don't seem to get much of these days in comics. By no means is it heavy duty reading a la Watchmen, but it was highly entertaining and readable, and even though it takes place now (as far as I can tell), it definitely has a "space age" vibe to it. The art is fun in an "almost realistic" depiction of humans (stylized, but not ridiculously so), and if full of bright imagery. So, I'd definitely recommend it as a fun read, and I look forward to reading more in the series.

No comments: